[Wylug-discuss] FLOSS Cross-platform Web-oriented Text Editor For Newbies

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Tue May 29 12:43:37 BST 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 08:45:51PM +0100, Roy Mac wrote:
> Not sure what you mean by "whole-file indentation" ...

I mean that you can hit one key/button and the editor will automatically
indent/nest the entire file, following the markup DOM (or programming
language systax) that you are using ... and your own preferences for
indent spacing.

If memory serves, I was using this feature in emacs's xml/sgml modes a
decade ago.

Unfortunately, emacs is a non-starter for teaching first-time HTML
coders who are not already programmers.

My reason for wanting this feature, is that many students only seem to
learn to indent properly after they see how it makes their own tag soup
more readable/editable, i.e. they can't seem to learn from abstract
logic or generic examples.

> Nedit has the ability to move highlighted blocks of text, including the
> entire file, left and right by using ctrl+9 or ctrl+0 (the () keys above
> each point the direction).

I saw that.

> Otherwise, the indentation could potentially achieved by writing an nedit
> macro.

Yeah, but I don't have the time or the inclination to learn Nedit and
TCL/Tk first ... call me Mr lazy.

Dave