[Wylug-discuss] BSI to vote yes to OOXML standard

Phil Driscoll phil at dialsolutions.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 13:49:46 GMT 2008

According to
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/26/bsi_vote_yes_ooxml/
the BSI are likely to approve Microsoft's OOXML format in the upcoming vote at
ISO. Mike Banahan added the comment below to the Register article. I've just
fired off my email to BSI. I hope a goodly number of you will be minded to do
likewise.
-------------------------
Gobsmacked
By Mike Banahan
Posted Wednesday 26th March 2008 23:28 GMT
I can't believe this is true. Although my period as a member of IST/41 (the
BSI panel that is reviewing the fast-track document) was short, there was an
air of intellectual honesty that gave me some modest pride being a part of
it.
I really find it incomprehensible that the BSI panel might have changed its
recommendation. The draft standard is truly, truly, appalling.
I will be fascinated to see if the rumor of a 5-1 change of mind is really
true. If so, there will be a lot of explaining to do.
And I'd point out to anyone reading this that the panel is only advisory. If
you feel that they have made a mistake, give the BSI a call on +44 (0)20 8996
9001 or email them at cservices at bsi-global.com
The ICT/-/1 (that's really its name) committee that actually decides the UK
vote is only advised by IST/41, it doesn't *have* to abide by what they say.
The BSI is supposed to work on consensus. If enough people call or contact it
to tell it that it's made a mistake, it is supposed to do something about it.
If you care, get off your backside and tell them. I have already. Their vote
is due in on the 29th. You have essentially one day only to influence them.
--
Phil Driscoll