[Wylug-discuss] TheCommonPlace was: Leeds Hackspace

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Fri Apr 10 17:28:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 17:42 +0100, that guy wrote:
> what flavour is the kool-aid on Planet Conform, Phil?

I asked the question in hope of reasonable comment. The above is not
called for.

> > "development of security resources for activists"
> netsec is important to everyone from corporations with large customer
> DBs of personal information who can afford the fancy consultants to
> activists with zero budgets with the contact details of dissident
> citizens in the foriegn regimes they campaign against or even domestic
> political parties. like BNP whose membership was leaked very recently.
> you might not agree with any single one of these examples but the
> specifics are irrelevant and the message clear -- any organisation or
> individual has the right to take measures to enable  control of their
> 'privileged' information. you are on a LUG mailing list . this is
> practoically preaching to the choir.
>
> under the law, you also expect these reasonable due diligence to be
> taken with your data by a third party that may hold it  otherwise they
> are punishable by the law for allowing the info to become compromised.

Net Security is important to all but that is not what I quoted for
hopeful clarification. The quote uses very targeted wording not
mentioning the net and something that also would not cover your broader
examples thus be generic like say "Developing security resources to
protect your valuable data". For a supposed open to all event in an open
to all location, I would not expect topics so specific, targeted and my
example or similar would be the inclusive for all norm.

> > I maybe paranoid here, but the above can be taken quite a number of ways
> > and seeing from the common place web site; and some of the groups that
> > use the location naturally can breed concern in some about what they
> > could be helping others accomplish.
>
> yes you are.
> what 'others'? scary terrorists, squatters, hoodie-thugs, asylum
> seekers, tarmac wielding gypsies or the bad guys from Lost?
> i would remove the tinfoil hat, take off the SOCPA scarf and come out
> of your Fort made with old rolled up copies of the Daily Mail and have
> a nice cup of Horlicks, Phil.

These types of insults do not encourage debate and are not called for.

Regards

Phil