[Wylug-discuss] Three Linuxy jobs at Bytemark Hosting in York

Matthew Bloch matthew at bytemark.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 17:43:30 UTC 2009

Hello, thankyou to any list moderators who let this post through.  Also,
dark and terrible curses on any recruiters who don't understand a polite
NO RECRUITERS PLEASE :)

Bytemark Hosting are a busy Internet Service Provider in York, and we're
currently looking to recruit for three roles which I hope various groups
 of geeks (and a few previous applicants) might be interested in.  In
brief, they are:

  1) A first-line technical support representative (£15-22k, from March)

  2) A Linux systems or programming expert (£20-40k, from March)

  3) A technical author for a 2-3 month contract (£15-£25 per hour,
     immediate start)

We're interviewing through February for the first two, sooner for the
tech writer position, and always pay reasonable interview expenses if
you have to travel to reach us.

Also please excuse the repetition; I'm only making sure these are cut &
pasteable if you want to pass a particular job ad on to anyone you know.

--- First-line support representative  ---------------------------------

Bytemark Hosting is an Internet Service Provider based in York, and
we're looking to recruit a permanent first-line support representative
to manage our steadily growing technical support queue.

We currently manage our support by allocating a single expert engineer
per week to answering our customers' calls and emails.  The volume has
now grown to the point where this is a full time job - many enquiries
are simpler sales and technical questions, and the directors think that
an enthusiastic Linux "power user" could manage these on a permanent
basis, while more complex questions can still go to our more experienced
engineers.

The ideal candidate will be someone who uses Linux on a daily basis, or
simply manages their own web site(s, the more ambitious the better).
However neither experience is strictly necessary, we are willing to
train the person with the right attitude on every aspect of our business
so that they can fulfil this important role for our customers.  There
will also be opportunities to learn and practice programming and systems
administration.  The most important skill will be to maintain a calm,
polite and organised front to our staff and customers.

Bytemark ask for a 37.5 hour working week to be worked from our offices
in York, and offer 25 days paid holiday plus UK bank holidays.  For this
role we can pay between £15000-£22000 per annum dependent on previous
experience.

If you're interested please send your CV to Matthew Bloch
<matthew at bytemark.co.uk> and let me know in brief how you think you can
help our company.

--- Linux systems and software engineer --------------------------------

Bytemark Hosting is an Internet Service Provider based in York.  We're
looking to recruit a Linux systems or programming expert to build  and
maintain various internal systems for our expanding business - these
systems organise our network, racks, inventory and billing.  They are
increasingly business critical as we rely on their abilities to provide
new services to our customers, and we need a larger team to work on both
their development and reliable deployment.  You'll also need to support
our customers in using them, and help publish and promote some  of their
components of to the free software community.

Currently we have a many important internal systems written largely with
the Ruby language and Rails framework, so these would be ideal skills to
have.  Perl, PHP, Java would also be useful to know, but nothing speaks
louder than the experience of an open source project or previous
commercial experience, in whatever language.

Bytemark ask for a 37.5 hour working week to be worked from our offices
in York, and offer 25 days paid holiday plus UK bank holidays.  For this
role we can pay between £20000-£40000 per annum dependent on previous
experience, and may consider some days working from home when working on
defined projects.

If you're interested please send your CV to Matthew Bloch
<matthew at bytemark.co.uk> and let me know in brief how you think you can
help our company.

--- Technical author ---------------------------------------------------

Bytemark Hosting is an Internet Service Provider based in York, and
we're looking to hire a technical writer on a temporary basis.  We need
someone to bring our web site up to date with a large amount of original
technical writing - the goal will be to make our hosting services as
easy to use as possible for as wide an audience as possible

We need someone who is understands hosting products, probably hosting
and maintaining their own web site(s) already .  You'll need to explain
the basics of uploading files, the domain name system and other hosting
complexities with elegance and frequent illustration; your audience will
be less experienced but enthusiastic users of Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

This is not a permanent position, and the initial brief will be 8-12
weeks work.  However we are working hard on our web site at the moment,
and may have immediate follow-on work.  We can pay between £15-25 per
hour depending on experience.  The work does not need to done from our
office in York, though you may feel that being on-site is advantageous
to the job.

If you're interested please send your CV to Matthew Bloch
<matthew at bytemark.co.uk> and let me know in brief how you think you can
help us.

--
Matthew Bloch, Managing Director, Bytemark Hosting, York