[Wylug-help] Alternative port number for http server

MikeBanahanmikeb@gbdirect.co.uk MikeBanahanmikeb at gbdirect.co.uk
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 20:37:08 +0100

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 07:59:36PM +0100, Martin Rowe wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Apart from 80 what other ports are available for use by a web server.
> >From looking in /etc/services it seems that 81 to 86 are free. The
> requirement is to be running two different servers on the same box. I'll
> come clean - this isn't a Linux box but an AS/400. In mitigation, it does
> run Apache and the Domino server we want to run on it as well is
> available for Linux ;-)

It's quite common to use 80/81/82. 8080 is also often used for development,
but in reality you can pick just about anything ... so long as you don't
expect the public to have access. Corporate firewalls are unlikely to
let much through other than port 80. For intranets, you can pick pretty
much anything that isn't some other well-known service.

At least that's been my experience ...

Mike
--
Mike Banahan - GBdirect 27 Park Drive Bradford England BD9 4DS
Tel 01274 772277 Fax 01274 772281