[Wylug-help] Wireless Network with DSL

Steve King steve at kingsteve.co.uk
Tue, 13 May 2003 09:57:59 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Salil Khamkar wrote:

> I assume that it wouldn=92t be a problem getting an USB ADSL modem workin=
> with Linux. I think the USB modem which is supplied by default is the
> SpeedTouch 330 modem.

That's what Rik's talk was about :)

http://www.wylug.org.uk/talks/2003/03/speedtouch.html

At home I use the older speedtouch, but I didn't need to do any of the
messing around to get it working as I put it on a dedicated box, and
installed smoothwall. I believe the new smoothwall will work with the
330 modem.  Smoothwall takes about 10 mins to install and get working,
it's great :-)  The mailing list is pretty active too, so if you do have
any problems (with dodgy hardware and setting up some of the more
complex features in it) someone will normally answer.

The smoothwall box just sits there and works, my parents have one at
their house too, and the only time it's needed attention was when the HD
broke!  If the connection does die for any reason (cough BT cough) then
it tries to reconnect, and reconnect, and after a bit reboots. It keeps
doing that until BT have got their act together!

Steve