[Wylug-help] Where are ifconfig, route etc under FC4?

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sat Aug 13 14:51:53 BST 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Dave Fisher wrote:

> I don't suppose that I would have bothered asking if I had really
> thought they were gone and I'm sure that I would have found them
> eventually  ... I was simply in a hurry and experience has taught me
> that it is usually quickest to ask someone who already knows the answer.

I'm somewhat biased by general student attitudes to problems.  Ask a question
rather than use the wealth of knowledge they already have.

> Thanks very much for validating the hypothesis.  The details you
> provided were very helpful.

Good.

> The range of different tools and policies has proved even wider than I
> had expected.
>
> Although it's not too difficult to find anologues of practices from one
> distro on another, I've found it quite time-consuming.

I think I struggle to learn the distro specific way of doing things because
google typically finds the answer from a different distro.

> It is, for example, vastly easier for the average person to deepen their
> knowledge of a single distribution than it is to deepen their generic
> Linux knowledge, because the providers put in place the infrastructure
> for learning (not just commercial training, but documentation,
> tutorials, fora, conferences, wikis, etc.).

Yes.

> Not surprisingly, the commercial distros tend to be better than
> voluntary ones at providing easy learning paths and hence increasing the
> cost of migration.
>
> Please don't misunderstand this last point (John?). It's the
> non-commercial suppliers that I'm criticising, here.

> They are the ones with a real material interest in lowering the cost of
> migration, by helping to develop a distro-neutral learning environment
> .. yet they are signally failing to do so.
>
> The LPD is stuffed full of HOWTOs and tutorials that are so out of date
> that some are positively misleading.  The quantity (and sometimes the
> quality) of output from the Debian documentation project has been
> pathetic (even if there are slight signs of revival in recent months).

It doesn't help that the contact email addresses on the HOWTOs are invariable
unanswered, and the documentation is way out of date.  I've tried sending
updates to the documentation a few times, but never got a reply from anyone.

> ... OK, rant over.

;)  Until the next one.

jh

--
"Tact in audacity consists in knowing how far we may go too far."
                                                      -- Jean Cocteau