[WYLUG-help] still trying to get this machine to copy cds/dvds

Mike mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Fri Mar 4 21:38:52 GMT 2005

-lH /dev/cdrom* produces

brw-------  1 mike disk 22,  0 Feb 23  2004 /dev/cdrom
brw-------  1 mike disk 22, 64 Feb 23  2004 /dev/cdrom1

- didn't know I had a group called disk (or is that the user?)!

I do the yum update bit reasonably frequently, although the updated
packages depend upon which repositary yum can get a connection to! Which
one is cdrecord in?

rpm -q cdrecord shows: cdrecord-2.01.1-0.FC2.1 - is that recent enough?

uname -r shows: 2.6.10-1.770_FC2 but then, I only updated it today.

I've got as far as a data back up on a CD to take out of the office and
a CDRW as a local copy, which is an enormous relief. What I meant by
music, presentations etc was that I need to produce copies of demo CDs
for bands and musicians I represent, and I would like to do good
presentations for clients, for instance, planning a function, meeting or
conference to show them what options are available to them. The latter
should be OK if I can use a laptop or the meeting host has OO.o. Until
now I have been stuck with M$ for producing demos and I haven't really
worked out the presentation bit, but I will need to produce the CDs or
DVDs eventually -and I'd love to be able to clean the M$ hdd and put a
Linux distro on it! :)) 60GB currently going to waste!

I'll try cdrecord -dao foo.iso in the morning - just called in the
office for a mo to pick up something I forgot earlier! Now I'm late;)

Best,

Mike