[WYLUG-Help] FC4 and Audigy CA0106

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 14:52:10 BST 2005

On Friday 09 Sep 2005 14:15, Mike Goodman wrote:
> Thanks, Anne. Assuming CLI to mean something to do with command line, I
> typed in alsamixer and got a row of horizontal bars with captions
> underneath. The one on the left, Analog C, has red at the top, green in
> the middle and white at the bottom and 100<>100 beneath. All of the
> others, including a small one marked MM, are empty.

Red means it's too high - it should be in the green, or marginally red.
More worrying, though, is that it doesn't seem to be recognising the
channels.  I'll look back through my archived mail and see if there is
anything there about the driver for Audigy LS.  The problem with Creative
Labs, of course, is that they market differing cards under the same name.
I've not seen the name CA0106 before.  A quick google, though, brings lots
of links -

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=linux+CA0106&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial

The top one looks helpful.

> Above the bar chart is:
>  Card: CA0106
> ││ Chip:
> ││ Item: Analog Center/LFE
>
> So I asked it for help and got:
> [mike at count ~]$ alsamixer --help
> alsamixer: invalid option -- -
> AlsaMixer v1.0.9a
> Usage: alsamixer [-h] [-c <card: 0...7>] [-D <mixer device>] [-g] [-s]
> [-V <view>]
>
> Is it safe to experiment with these? I don't want my FC4 box emulating
> Billionaire Bill's Blue Screen of Death! :o) Even better if someone can
> tell me (politely, please) exactly what to do next.

I would have thought that the only thing you could screw up is your sound
system, and it's already screwed up ;-)

Take a look at the links I've given you, and come back if I can help any
more.