[Wylug-help] V-CD problem

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Jan 19 11:10:44 GMT 2006

Dave Fisher writes:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:51:20PM +0000, Emon wrote:
>
> > Hi all  I am new to the list.

Hi Emon -- welcome to Wylug!

> > I am a newbie running Slackware10.2 with KDE desktop.

Wow, Slackware!  Probably not my first choice of distro for a newbie,
but you sound to've got much further with Linux than I did when I first
started out, so it can't be that bad.

> > Then I tried to copy the file, but KDE gave me the following error
> >
> > Cannot read file /mnt/cdrom/mpegav/avseq01.dat
> >
> > So I tried this in the console & it gave me the following error
> >
> > jadukor at magic-box:~$ file /mnt/cdrom/mpegav/avseq01.dat
> > /mnt/cdrom/mpegav/avseq01.dat: ERROR: cannot read
> > `/mnt/cdrom/mpegav/avseq01.dat' (Input/output error)
> >
> > So reluctantly I switched to XP & ... tried to copy the file to my
> > HDD, which also went fine ... Then tried playing the file again from
> > my HDD under Linux with gxine, this time it played fine.
>
> Either xxine doesn't recognise the file as MPEG-1 (VCD) or you haven't
> installed a codec/decoder plugin to enable xine to decode MPEG-1.

That doesn't make sense: if the player couldn't cope with the file, then
it still wouldn't be able to cope with it after Windows had copied it
from the VCD on to the hard disk.

And given that even copying the file from the VCD to the hard disk
failed on Linux, the problem is even before we get to the player.

But I'm afraid I've got no suggestions for solving that -- I don't even
know what a VCD is, so this is well out of my depth.

> Have you tried copying the file/s and changing the file extension to
> mpg/mpeg ?

He said he can't copy the file, so how on earth can he do that?  Dave,
did you actually read the question before replying?  Are you
purposefully trying to confuse newbies?

Smylers