[WYLUG-HELP] wireless lan notebook card installation

Mike Goodman mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Wed Mar 22 13:03:29 GMT 2006

Thanks for the responses, folks.

There are a couple of wi-fi base stations in this building. I don't have
access to either. However, I'd like to be able to at least "see" them
even if I can't log on, just to show everything is working. When I get
to the conference tomorrow it will be too late to find I can't connect!

So, I ran iwlist wlan0 scan as Shaun Laughey suggested. It came up with
this reply:

        wlan0 Scan completed
        Cell 01 - Address: 00:09:5B:DF:DE:B0
                Mode: Managed
                Essid: "redmill"
                Encryption key: on
                Channel: 11
                Quality 59/100 Signal level:-71dBm Noise level:-192 dBm

Does this look to you as though I can expect a working connection
tomorrow when I'm given the password and all that? The signal:noise
ratio looks ominous to me, but then I don't know anything about it. And
is it worth changing the channel in my settings (easy enough to do) to
match the one I find with the iwlist command?

In a nutshell, is this progress or problems? :o)

Best,

Mike
--
"Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and
when it is bad, it is better than nothing."