[Wylug-help] Disaster recovery: I really need it

Dave Fisher wylug-help at davefisher.co.uk
Sun Feb 25 00:29:25 GMT 2007

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 11:52:23PM +0000, shaun laughey wrote:
> EEEK!
>
> Done it myself Dave - partition table recovery is possible - I used gpart.

Phew!

> "If you just destroyed your own partition table, but have not rebooted Linux :
> Don't reboot! You can still retrieve the partition information stored in the
> Kernel"

Having seen other wylug members rescue apparently doomed machines, from
the very last user shell they had open, I thought something like that
might be possible.

> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Partition-Rescue.html

Thanks so much for that ... I've got a firefox tab open on that URL and
I'll be reading it as soon as I've finished this thankyou note.

> Hopefully you have gpart installed - it does all the hardwork.

Fortunately, I've still got a network connection and apt-get, so I can
install from scratch if necessary.

> And Yes dd'ing the hd to another drive is a damn good idea.

I'll be doing that *before* I touch gpart ;-)

Dave