[YLUG] Install day and RedHat Query

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 15:52:07 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:41 +0100, Varsani, Rajendrakumar (PSD) wrote:
> At work we're going the RedHat way not SuSe now so I'd appreciate some
> advice on how to get this onto my laptop. I'd write over the SuSe that
> you chaps did for me at the last install day.

Ugh - this could be messy (as in its likely to be best to strip what you
want off the old install, flatten it, and put the wanted data back
again).

However initially there is the question of what you mean by Red Hat.
Do you mean:-
      * Old Red Hat Linux (version 9 or below) - you really do not want
        to put that on any box, let alone a relatively current laptop.
      * Red Hat Enterprise (version 2.1, 3.x or 4.x) - normally refered
        to as RHEL, but there is also several minor variants.
      * Fedora Core

> Is this going to be available on Install Day? If not, can someone point
> me to the right channels for getting the latest RedHat disks please?

Fedora might well be around on an install day.
Old RHL should not be installed - several year old distributions are not
safe to install once they are out of maintenance updates.
RHEL cannot be installed due to licensing restrictions (thats an over
simplification, but will do for now), you could as an alternative use
something like Centos - http://www.centos.org/ - thats our current
favoured server distro, and I know people do use it on laptops although
I would expect some laptop hardware to be poorly supported.

	Nigel.