[YLUG] Parsable Rack Diagrams

Pete Fenelon pete at fenelon.com
Thu Aug 9 00:10:02 BST 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 11:45:23PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> In a previous life, I used HP Apollo workstations running HP-UX.  I
> would have to say they were the best built, most solid kit I've seen
> to date.  They even surpassed Sun SparcStations.  HP-UX might have
> been horrible, but the hardware quality was pretty good.

Sparcs were built fairly nicely up to the Ultra-1, then they started to
resemble PCs inside. Mind you, I've never managed to insert an S-bus
card into an old Sparc without drawing blood...

HP had great build quality pre- and post-Apollo. Assembling a batch of
286-based Vectras that arrived at my sponsoring company back in '86
in kit form taught me a lot about the innards of PCs. ;)

Considering they've eaten a family tree including Compaq, DEC, Apollo
and Tandem, it amazes me that HP PCs these days are so appallingly
tacky.

pete
--
pete at fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"