[YLUG] Racks

Rob Hall rob at waylock.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 22:07:30 BST 2007

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 18:36, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> ideally gig on all ports (though I'd probably be happy with 100meg)?  It
> needs to be fanless, as sadly I couldn't put my rack in the loft.  Depth
> is also an issue, I only have about 14 inches to play with...

I know it might sound a bit Heath Robinson but if is going in the loft you
could do what I've done and knock together a simple wooden frame and bolt the
kit to that. Just so happens that joists and roof trusses are at 16" centres
and this makes getting 19" centres easy once you've taken the thickness of
the timber into account.

 I've got a Cisco switch mounted in my loft by that method and its been no
trouble for years! Use gutter bolts and washers through the uprights rather
than screws into the wood and it is very, very strong. If you try to mount
anything other than a switch (e.g. a UPS!!!) then you'll need to arrange a
rear support of some sort but its no big deal and is probably a good idea
anyway.

Rob Hall - taking a farmer's approach to IT solutions!