[YLUG] gnome-terminal/fedora 10

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Sun Mar 15 22:32:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:22:30PM +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:

> When I run gnome-terminal, it does run .bash_profile, but it looks like
> that it should not.
> xtern and terminal have the right behavior.

Why would it not be considered "right"?  This depends entirely on
what you want it to do.

> How can avoid to run .bash_profile when I run gnome-terminal ?

gnome-terminal does not "run" .bash_profile.  It runs /bin/bash
just time xterm does, but as a "login" shell which causes it to
read .bash_profile instead.  This is a configuration option in
gnome-terminal, and it's not done by default, so you most likely
configured it to do this; just uncheck the box in the edit profile
dialogue.

The BASH manual and info pages explain exactly how login shells
work.

Regards,
Roger

--