[Autistic] VPN over an HTTP Proxy

Paul Stimpson paul at stimpsonfamily.co.uk
Sun Apr 9 01:00:23 BST 2006

Hi,

I spend a lot of time on my customers' premises abroad. My largest
customer's network only offers access to the outside world via (almost
certainly MS-sourced) HTTP and FTP proxies. I have no possibility of
getting to an open LAN whilst there. I would like to be able to use
software that runs other communications protocols than HTTP or FTP (e.g.
IRC, SIP telephony, BitTorrent.)

In a perfect world I would like to:

* Install a VPN server behind my firewall in my home office.
* Install some king of client software on my laptop to access this VPN
through the company proxies.
* Plug a USB NIC into my laptop and have it offer a presentation of my
home office LAN for (preferably multiple) devices.
* Have the trickery transparent so these devices believe that they are
on my home office LAN.
* Be able to install a SIP phone system (like Asterisk) at home and
subscribe to a commercial service.
* Take a hardware SIP IP phone with me to plug into the USB NIC so I can
use my home phones and the service.
* Be able to choose whether programs on my laptop see the home or the
corporate LAN.
* Use protocols not provided for by my customer's proxies by sending the
data via my home network.
* Protect the integrity of my home network from the nasties that may be
floating round on the company Windows network.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions as to the best way to
implement the above.

Thanks,
Paul.