[Autistic] intro

Amanda amanda at autistics.org
Mon Mar 20 21:11:15 GMT 2006

I'm Amanda, some may know me from elsewhere, I help run autistics.org and so
forth.  (We're in the process of switching to our own server right now, hence
the lack of updates and possible temporary bad performance in the near
future.  But we'll be able to get the scripts and stuff working again.  So
this is good.)

I've got two computers, a desktop and a laptop.

I'm currently running Ubuntu on the desktop, although I'd like to know if
there's a Debian-based distribution that is not as hard to configure as
Debian and not as do-everything-for-you-in-maddening-ways as Ubuntu.  Some
middle ground.

On the laptop (a Dell Inspiron 7000), after every Debian-based distribution
seemed to fail to recognize its CD-ROM drive, we tried Gentoo.  I still want
to go further with that, but various circumstances have meant that I use the
laptop as a communication system, so getting it up fast became a priority,
hence a lot of headache with Fedora, which at least seemed to recognize most
things.  (Except the sound card, still working on that.)

When it comes to computers I'm self-taught through immersion, so there's a lot
I understand but don't know the terminology for, and a lot I have heard the
terminology for but don't understand, and it's not always predictable.  (This
mirrors my math skills, in which I could do some elements of group theory and
topology easily without knowing the name of it, but can't read the equations
and symbols and have some difficulty with "easy" math.)

Plus my brain hasn't worked as well in some ways since neuroleptics, so I
haven't made as much progress learning linux as I've wanted.  I'm not as good
with computers as a professional but a lot better with them than the average
layperson, mostly figured out by fiddling with them.  I'm not fluent in any
programming languages.

This has meant that I've been reluctant to get into the Linux community in
general, because I'm afraid I'll get branded as a stupid newbie asking easy
questions and so forth, since some of the things I don't know are quite basic
(but some of the things I do know are far from basic, so there's no simple
categorization here).  So I'm glad to see a place where anything from the
really easy to the really hard is welcomed and people aren't treated harshly
for it.

I've been running since I got my own computer, which was 1999.  And I'm really
happy to be doing so, particularly because it lets me know what's going on
when I want to know, and it's very customizable.  I wish there were better
speech output programs though.

Amanda