[Autistic] Let's get this party (re)started

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Fri Apr 20 17:37:16 BST 2007

After a long time with seemingly zero interest in the LUG over the
last month or so a couple of people have appeared who want to start
other autistic spectrum lugs or help restart this one

so, it's time to restart the party and get as many people interested
in creating a community of Unix users on the autistic spectrum and
with related communication issues until we have a lug to be proud of.

While one person had to start the lug I don't want people to think
that they don't have an equal say in what's happening, this is our
baby not mine and it's a resource we can all build.  I have always
been uneasy with responsibility being the totally irresponsible type
myself and feel like I am about to let people down at any moment so I
don't want to carry the responsibility alone, I want to share it as
was always the plan.

What I want to people to take on any responsibilities they want, no
pressure whatsoever, what's needed are people to help admin the
mailing list (cos I hate doing that the spam problem is horrendous),
and people to start coming together to build a community around this
mailing list and a website (the old domain is expired but that's not
important) along with any other things we might need.  It's a
community project after all and we are the community devote as little
or as much time as you can whenever you want by taking part in the
shared ownership and maintaince of the lug infrastructure.

I'm hopeless at running things I tend to piss people off with my
frankness (yeah no shit the people who I've met will be thinking.) and
then forget what I was doing and leave things unfinished for evermore
so we also need at least one other person to be what lug.org.uk calls
a lugmaster.  As far as I am concerned we are all masters of the lug
but we can't all join the elitist (only joking guys :) ) lugmaster
mailing list where administration stuff is discussed but I am sure the
other lugmasters and lug.org.uk types won't mind another couple of us
cluttering up the place if it means better communication between this
lug and others that was one of the main reasons for setting up this
little community in the first place although I'm sure we all have
ideas on other things we could be doing.

So what's needed;
people who want to help run the mailing list, (just despam and make
sure no real messages get lost)
people with ideas,
people who put ideas into practise,
people who fancy being on the lugmaster list and rubbing shoulders
with the illuminati (scrub that I mean glitteratti ;) ) of the uk
linux scene,
more communication.

What's not needed;
people who like organisations to have constutions and voting rights.
However much fun it is to play by the book and subvert such things
when other people think they are a good idea I believe we are above
such things and our general good sense for what's right and wrong is
better than petty politics.

What's allowed;
you can still sit on the sidelines being quiet and watching the
activity around you without feeling like a second class citizen.  Not
taking an active role in the orgainisation and maintainence of the lug
or even in the general conversational din does not preclude membership
with the same rights to an opinion as everyone else.  If you don't
like something speak up, if you are indifferent you can stay as quiet
as a church mouse and the first time you want to speak your words will
carry the same weight as the noisy, brash members of the community.
If you feel this isn't the case point it out and we can make sure your
point of view is acknowledged and discussed fully.  Shyness isn't a
crime ;)

While I want everyone to feel this is their community and that they
are part of I certainly don't want people to think the few people who
are vocal are more important than anyone else.  It's really important
to me that we are all equal and I don't think there will be many
people in this lug who don't think that's a good idea too.

So before I start rambling even more, what do people want from the lug
and what ideas do they have to make it happen?

The floors yours (metaphorically) take it away.

--
Steve 'sparkes' Parkes -  blog http://zx-81.com