[Autistic] Autscape 2013: Call for Proposals

Martijn Dekker martijn at inlv.org
Wed Feb 6 18:09:55 UTC 2013

AUTSCAPE 2013: FINDING A VOICE
Tuesday 6 August - Friday 9 August 2013
Ackworth School, Ackworth, Pontefract, West Yorkshire WF7 7LT, England
http://www.autscape.org/

Please distribute widely. Forward this text or send the link:
http://www.autscape.org/proposals/cfp

C A L L   F O R   P R O P O S A L S

We are now accepting proposals for lectures and workshops to be
presented at Autscape 2013.

PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL BY MARCH 27th, 2013
Submission form: http://www.autscape.org/proposals/proposalform

Note: This is the call for proposals for the formal programme.
Suggestions and proposals for informal activities will be called for in
the near future. These may include leisure sessions and discussion groups.

___ Contents ___

1. What is Autscape?
2. Theme
3. Presentation requirements
4. Examples
5. A few notes of caution
6. What do we expect from you?
7. What can you expect from us?
8. How to submit your proposal

___ What is Autscape? ___

Autscape is a conference run by and for autistic people. Non-autistic
people are also welcome, but the environment and content of the event
are centred around autistic people's needs, interests and sensitivities.
Presentations in the formal programme, for which this call is seeking
proposals, are all relevant to autistic people. The alternative
programme includes discussions and leisure activities which are more
flexible. Regardless of the topic, everything in the programme is
suitable for autistic people.

Although we welcome non-autistic professionals and family members, this
event is primarily *for* autistic people, not *about* us. Workshops
geared towards parents and professionals may be accepted, but must be
positive in their support for autistic people and our right to be different.

___ Theme ___

The theme for this year's Autscape is 'Finding a voice'.

While autistics are often described as lacking communication abilities,
more and more autistics are expressing themselves in various forms,
through various means. In this year's programme, we wish to explore how
autistics are 'Finding a voice', both literally and metaphorically, in
various walks of life.

A literal interpretation of the theme could include a session on
assertiveness in personal relationships or at work, or a workshop on
augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) methods.

A more metaphorical exploration could include initiatives such as
autistic-run organisations, conferences, forums and blogs, as well as
autistic-authored essays and books. It may also include autistic
involvement in wider projects, in which both autistics and non-autistics
work together to achieve mutual goals. In addition, it may include
various ways in which autistics are being heard more and more within
mainstream society, be it in academic publications and conferences,
newspapers and magazines, various autistic-friendly workplaces, and many
other topics.

The theme is meant to inspire presenters as well as to provide some
coherence to the programme, not to be overly restrictive, so feel free
to be creative in its application. Presentations which seek to develop
this theme will be given priority; however, any suitable topics will be
given consideration.

___ Presentation requirements ___

We wish to explore a broad range of perspectives on being autistic, both
theoretical and practical. Many different types of input are welcome:
traditional lectures, creative expression, physical activity,
interactive workshops and more.

Although many of the autistic people who are attracted to an event such
as Autscape are highly verbal, others may have difficulty with an event
centred around language. We want to welcome and fully include all kinds
of autistic people, including less 'wordy' ones. Therefore, we are also
seeking workshops which are not primarily focused on the spoken word.
(Presenters may still use speech; it is just not the main content of
this type of workshop.) Examples: dance, relaxation, music, art,
construction of some kind. These workshops are different from leisure
sessions in that they have more structure, preparation (from the
presenter), relevance to autism and the event's theme, and duration.

Remember that whatever the format, in order to be included as part of
the formal programme, your presentation must be structured, informative,
relevant, and impart some expertise of the presenter. If it lacks any of
these, it may still be included as part of the alternative programme.

___ Examples ___

For some examples of what has been presented at Autscape in the past,
see last year's presentations at: http://www.autscape.org/programme/

We are also likely to enjoy similar workshops to those that have been
presented at Autreat, in the USA. See: http://www.autreat.com/

___ A few notes of caution ___

Cures: Workshops about curing or preventing autism are likely not to go
over well at all and are best avoided altogether, unless it is from an
advocacy standpoint.

Personal Experience: We all have personal experience of autism. If your
presentation is primarily based on your personal experience, think
carefully how it can help attendees to find new understanding of their
own situation. Please let us know what you're hoping those present will
gain from your presentation.

Suitability: Every workshop, no matter who it is targeted towards,
should be suitable for autistic people to attend without feeling
objectified or put down.

___ What do we expect from you? ___

Reliability: You need to be able to assure us that except for unforeseen
circumstances you will be there to present as agreed.

Presentation materials: Please send copies of any handouts and computer
presentations (e.g. PowerPoint) by the date requested (to be confirmed,
approx 2 weeks before Autscape). These will be made available for
download and printing by Autscape participants. In addition we can print
a limited number of pages for handouts.

Your details and presentation summary: We would like to include your
presentation summary, biography and any electronic handouts you provided
in our website's archive area.

Permission to record: As a reasonable adjustment under the Disability
Discrimination Act, some audience members will audio record your
presentation for personal use. If your proposal is accepted, we will
also seek your permission to video or otherwise record your
presentation. These records may be made available to others by Autscape.
If you have any questions or objections, please let us know so we can
discuss it.

Discussion: Presenters giving lecture-style presentations are encouraged
to run a discussion group on their topic later in the day, for those who
would like to explore the issue further. If you may have problems with
this we will try and find a volunteer to help.

___ What can you expect from us? ___

Accommodation: You will receive a day's attendance at Autscape free of
charge. Presenters will be accommodated on-site for the day of their
presentation including the night before or after. Only one such place
can be offered for each presentation, regardless of the number of
presenters. Unfortunately, due to lack of funding, we cannot offer free
attendance at all of Autscape this year. Whenever you are not presenting
you can enjoy the event, including other workshops and the setting, just
as any other participant.

(Please note: This rebate is not given for those running informal
activities such as leisure sessions. However, for these we will pay
reasonable expenses for materials required.)

Audience: A rare opportunity to be heard by a significant number of
autistic people. A chance to have some influence and get some feedback
from the people who matter most in the field of autism.

Involvement: One thing you can expect by joining us is the opportunity
to shape an emerging self-advocacy event and autistic community. There
will be opportunities at the event to get involved in the future of
Autscape.

Respect and consideration. We will let you know as soon as possible if
your proposal has been accepted and will try our best to accommodate you
at a time that suits you.