[Bassetlug mailing] unison issues SGID?

Mark Pengelly - online markshop at pengelly.info
Wed Jul 9 09:09:07 BST 2008

hmm, any thought on this one anyone?

I've replicated all my users and groups on my second linux server and I
now sync all my files using unison, c/w correct user and group
ownerships on the servers at either end of the sync.

I've noticed that when i create a new file on the second server, it's
not inheriting the correct group ownership (ie that of the share it's
within) rather it makes the file the same as my username (my default
group perhaps?), if i sync, that my file won't be readable by other
members of the group that own that share at the other end...

how do I get the file to inherit the correct group ownership?

is this it:?

Setting the SGID attribute on a directory : chmod g+s
If the SGID (Set Group Identification) attribute is set on a directory,
files created in that directory inherit its group ownership. If the SGID
is not set the file's group ownership corresponds to the user's default
group.

markp