[Bassetlug mailing] current progress on Ubuntu test box

MJ.Wells mj.wells at ischus.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 14:14:49 BST 2008

Mark, John

I think that we are close to the problem. However my tests on the server as
John suggested were inconclusive, mainly because I was getting fatigued.

I managed to fill the time-zone tables in mySQL, but wasn't convinced I did
the clock moving thing right in after adding entries in egroupware.

I am trying to get my head around the sequence of events as times are
entered as I still think it is possible that the code is not handling the
different possible time transitions properly. However, I need to understand
better what from_unixtime()  does 'under the hood'.

The evidence from the silence of others does however strongly suggest that
it is not the code, but a configuration problem. The test box probably has
the 'latest' production versions of everything as it has been updated
regularly using the update process built into Ubuntu, and as the problem is
experienced by it the suggestion is that it is not a bug. However, as you
pointed out; we do not know how many of the user-base for eGroupware are
running it on our particular Linux flavour.

I have found this http://osdir.com/ml/db.mysql.bugs/2003-03/msg00036.html
that seems to discuss a similar problem. The respondent suggests setting the
TZ variable to 'UTC' and apply the timezone information on the application
level. At the moment I think this means that he is advising doing the time
conversion in code and not letting from_unixtime() do it?

I'll install OpenVPN on to it tonight. I am not familiar with the
application and so I don't know what client you use to access the machine
over VPN. We use Hamachi and RealVNC.

Martin