[Bassetlug mailing] BassetLUG this Friday!

Rev Mark Pengelly minister at thecrossing.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 10:12:42 UTC 2009

Hope to see you all on Friday evening.

As promised I will be bringing my two Compaq Proliant 1500 servers and
giving away to a good home (or any home come to that - I don't want
'lug' them home again!), complete with SCSI 7 disk array tower, Floppy
disks are involved in booting these beauties!

Danny has first dibs on what he like look of.

Why? Because it runs linux! and because it's a good insight into the
joys of RAID, which was discussed in the previous meeting  I know.

I ran these as raid 5 arrays with 5 and 7 drives, but the hardware
controllers on these can do exciting things like have a 'hot spare' eg a
four disk array and the fifth drive is automatically built into the
array should one of the other four fail!

Linux needed a bit of tweaking to sort out some memory problems on these
machines. This was the first linux machine I ever built (about 7 years
ago), so that was a bit of a challenge! To aid me a logged the routine
and I includ it below for future reference for those who might want
it...

Best wishes, Mark

Setting up proliant 1500 from scratch:

boot from Sys Erase Disk
select ‘English
‘OK’
‘Erase Everything’
‘OK’
Power off reboot

[Should show 0 logical drives and 1785 error. Also make sure you are
getting 172, 172-1, and 162 errors. By getting these error codes, you
know that the erase did a good job. If the error codes don't look right,
then build the System Erase Diskette from CD and use that to erase the
system. It is always good to start off with a good erase.]

boot from Array Conf. Utility disk1
insert disk2
‘English’
‘UK’
Keyboard – ‘British’
Unconfigured - controller identified
Software = unixware
Raid = 5

All put together as 1 RAID 5 = 16GB – 4GB for data safety

boot from Sys Conf. Utility disk
set configuration? – ‘yes’
set date/time
insert disk 3
OS = UniX, then Linux
Disk 2
Save conf & exit to reboot

Boot from Sys Conf. Utility disk again
This time create Sys Partition – reboot

Boot – chooses f10 when asked if you want sys conf utilities
Insert Sys. Conf. Utlity disk 1 Again! 3rd time!
Choose components – all except ROMPAQ (space bar selects option)
Lights on HDDs flash like Star Ship Enterprise! When reading/writing
Insert various disks when requested….
Select ‘run from sys partition’ exit
Choose – ‘Operating Sys Install’
Select Unix SCO etc.

Insert Linux boot disk in A and away you go

Job’s a carrot,

Boot – choose f10

Installing RH9:
Initial install setup:

boot options to fix memory issue:

linux text mem=exactmap mem=640K at 0 mem=127M at 1M expert