[Bassetlug mailing] Next BASSETlug meeting

MJ.Wells mj.wells at ischus.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 20:42:58 UTC 2009

Hi All,

At the meeting next Friday I plan to show some simple ways that web pages
can be built. Perhaps the title could be "Introduction to writing web
pages".

I will use the projector, but the talk is designed for you to follow by
doing it yourself, so I have a web-server that I will bring and set up on
its own network so that you can connect to it and put pages on it and test
them. All you will need is a computer that has:

   i) an Ethernet connection
  ii) a text editor
 iii) an ftp client. GUI based is bet. (The browsers native ftp:// is not
enough as we need to upload files.)

I would be surprised to find any flavour of Linux that did not install a
graphical text editor by default and I suspect most will install at least
one FTP client.

One of the ones I use is FireFTP which is an Add-on for Firefox and so
probably the easiest to install. To install it go to the 'Tools' menu and
choose 'Add-ons'. In the dialog box you will see a search box. Type in
'FireFtp' (without the quotes). And you will install it. You should now have
FireFTP as a menu item in the 'Tools' menu.

I plan to cover writing pages using HTML, PHP, and Java and connect to a
MySql database.

In one hour we will not have time to go deeply into anything - the aim will
be to get an idea of what can be done while enjoying ourselves.

Any suggestions or comment are welcome.

See you Friday,

Martin