[Bassetlug mailing] Computer name missing in DNS

MJ.Wells mj.wells at ischus.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 17:16:54 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I have a router that is a DHCP server. I am running a number of Windows and
Linux machines that use it to obtain their addresses, which all do
successfully. However, although the Windows machines show their hostnames in
the DNS records all the Linux ones (which  bear in mind do successfully
obtain an IP address) do not and are only listed as 'UNKNOWN'.

This means that I cannot address any of the Linux machines by hostname, but
have to use their IP addresses after looking them up manually in the router
webpage for its attached devices.

The Linux machines run Mandrake, RedHat and Ubuntu of several different ages
and versions. I have set the hostname in the HOSTNAME and DHCP client files.

Anyone got any ideas about how I can remedy this?

Regards,

Martin