[Bassetlug mailing] What you need to run Linux

Rev Mark Pengelly minister at thecrossing.co.uk
Sat Mar 7 08:06:03 UTC 2009

Thanks for last night Martin, a great introduction to a very interesting
area.

I bought a PHP and mySQL book last year and this was all heading in same
direction. I have it in mind to ultimately convert my access sermon and
preaching database into an online mysql app!

With regard to getting setup with low spec hardware, as you rightly
pointed out one snag are patches/security issue of an old install.

Perhaps best way round this is to go for one of the specially designed
low footprint installs that are more recent...

Perhaps best known of these is DSL (damn small linux), the idea being to
create an install disk of 50mb (fits on a business card cd rom!)

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

One simple way to setup  a LAMP (Linux: Apache MySQL PHP) server is to
use xampp, it does a complete install of all these things and even gives
you a webpage to configure a few basic things (like MySQL root
password!). Not great for a production security install but ideal for
learning how these things work perhaps. Looks like xampp can be
installed in DSL as well!

Now where is that old 386 motherboard?!

Mark