[Bassetlug mailing] Setting up RAID

Rev Mark Pengelly minister at thecrossing.co.uk
Thu Mar 19 15:44:23 UTC 2009

Was Philip's discussion all relating to mdadm? We use that on the
crossings' server. it is of course 'software raid' not to be confused
with a hardware raid controller.

Occasionally we have had glitches with our raid 1 setup, ie a disk drops
out of the raid and then md commands are used to add it back in. So far
it has always done so, although sometimes we have had to do a cold
reboot of the machine.

Hardware raid is preferable if available. Most compaq servers raid
hardware is supported in linux and can usually see a partition as a boot
device when installing, once the array is setup using the proprietary
software (SmartStart in the case of compaq).

I have a pci hardware raid card on my main ubuntu machine, but never
really got it working properly.

Many modern motherboards with sata raid are actually only using
(windows) software to create the raid, it's not full proper hardware
raid (I think).

if anyone wants to play with raid I have 2 x compaq 1500 servers, one
with 5 drives, one with 3 drives in it. I had redhat 6 running merrily
on it about 5 years ago, I also have a scsi attached array case with
another 7 drives in (only 2.1gb per drive). I've been meaning to clear
this out for months, free to a good home! only catch - you need to have
ear defenders on when all the drives start up! i ran mine in the
garage!! Perhaps I'll bring it to bassetLUG show how to set it up and
then someone else could take it home!?

Sounds good Philip, sorry I missed it! Raid is definately cool, what
about raid 5?! my favourite!

Mark