[Bassetlug mailing] Programming

Richard Smedley rgsmedley at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 20 11:26:15 UTC 2011

...& the other one...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Failure Notice
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:37:42 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON at nm2.bt.bullet.mail.ukl.yahoo.com
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
Mail server for "mailman.lug.org.uk" unreachable for too long

Subject: Re: [Bassetlug mailing] Programming

On 14/07/11 18:45, philip jones wrote:
> HI Danny and Richard
> Do you think there is any advantage in purchasing  Microsoft visual studio
> professional 2010.

Hello Philip,

You're asking the wrong person here as I've
spent the last two decades campaigning for
Free Software, and have never recommended
the purchase of proprietary software ;^)

> I have tried to copy a PHP programme out of book, but i
> think the book was too old and it wasn't compatible with modern browsers.

PHP generates HTML (and returns binary files, too)
for your browser - if the PHP version you code to
runs on your server, then the browser won't be the
problem...

> What I trying to do is scan documents into a mysql database and then view
> them in a web browser or something. I have used the medium blob field and
> have saved a jpg into the database using phpmyadmin but need to learn how to
> write programs so i can view upload delete the documents

... having a challenge in the form of a practical
problem that you want to solve is a great motovation
for learning - that said, if your aim is more
about the finished product than the learning process
you will find much code out there to do the job
- and you can of course read and alter the code to adapt
it to your needs :)

If it's about the learning, then I suggest you
choose the least painful platform for which you
have local support - i.e. lots of people on
hand who will answer questions :)

It doesn't matter much if you choose NodeJS,
Ruby-on-Rails, Python/Django, Smalltalk/Seaside,
Common Lisp, or even PHP or Perl, as long as
you have support to get through any roadblocks
along the way.

As to tools, forget an IDE (let alone a proprietary
one), just start with a good coding editor
that supports keyboard shortcuts - a mouse
wastes good coding time.

You may have people recommend that you
use either Emacs or Vim; beware that these
are both choices that involve you putting
work into learning the environment first -
it will pay off in the long term, but may
not be what you want to do now.
GEdit ships with Ubuntu, and is a
reasonably good fit for most cases. [1]

btw Spend a bit of time reading a good
MySQL tutorial - you'll be a lot happier
coding for databases if you're familiar
with the MySQL command line, and know
what's going on inside a SQL database.

> by the way it was an academic course on antibiotic so wasn't poorly at all !

Pleased to hear it :-)

  - Richard

[1] Yes, I know I wrote a series of articles
     on using Emacs - but I'm trying to be
     neutral and practical here ;-P