[Bassetlug mailing] Humble Bundle

Danny Roberts dannyroberts.personal at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 12 16:12:33 UTC 2011

Hi Again all,

As the deadline for closure of this bundle is approaching someone has asked
me to do a quick run down of the games in this bundle, so here goes
nothing...

*Voxatron*

This is the title game of the bundle. It is based on something called
voxels which are 3D pixels, and th game is really very based on this.
Gameplay wise it's a 3D shooter, very basic commands, simple gameplay put
in places devilishly challenging but very addictive. You get basic enemies
that will simply chase after you and damage you on contact, as you progress
you get harder enemies, ones that shoot back at you, ones that jump around
to evade your shots, and huge hulking ones that take a great deal of time
to bring down. The electronic music backing the game is excellent and helps
in drawing you in. It also comes with a level editor which I haven't played
with yet but is a very nice addition.

*Blocks That Matter*
*
*
This is the 1st of 2 games that you get as long as you donate at least the
average price of the bundle so far (which when I purchased mine was $5.22).
This is a strange one, for the gamers out there its a combination of tetris
and minecraft. you control a small robot that consumes blocks of matter
(stone, wood and sand) each with different properties, you then place these
blocks (remembering to take into account different block behaviour) in
order to move further through a level with the eventual aim of saving your
creators! The challenge gets even trickier when you take into account you
have to create block structures of 4 blocks ala Tetris. Very addictive and
again great soundtrack (which is included as a separate download for your
listening pleasure).

*The Binding of Isaac*
*
*
This is the 2nd of the 2 games you get for donating at least the average
donation price. Again its great, but some might not like the basic story
that strings it together, so be warned! Now I am not familiar with Bible
stories but this game takes its basic premise from the story of Isaac from
the Bible, Isaac is a normal child, playing with his toys, drawing picture,
but his Mother hearing God's voice slowly takes things away from him until
she is command to sacrifice her son much like the fable of Abraham and
Isaac from the Bible. Isaac upon seeing his Mother coming towards his room
with a Butchers knife scramble around the room until he finds a trap door
down to the basement which he uses to escape from her. Only problem...the
basement is filled with Monsters! This is a top down shooter style game
with very well done cartoon/sketch style graphics, you get
a regular shooter as well as bombs you can drop for a bit more variety.
There are also various items you can collect, including cash to buy more
items. Keys that are found enable you to explore new areas not normally
accessible. Again this game is completed by a fantastic soundtrack that
once again is included as an additional download.

*Chocolate Castle*
*
*
 A cute little puzzle game that involves strategically moving around blocks
of chocolates and using one of your animal friends to devour them and clear
the level of chocolate. I know that sounds odd but its a very simple, fun
and addictive game! Not very difficult at all but fun regardless.

*Gish*
*
*
A strange one, a puzzle game where you play a "blob" that you move around -
to be honest I can accurately describe this one you just need to see it!

*Jasper's Journeys*
*
*
Not much to say here, its a basic platform/fantasy game. Looks good but
nothing to write home about as they say.

*Zen Puzzle Garden*
*
*
As the name indicates its a puzzle game involving a Japanese Zen Garden. It
involves raking the sand so that it is all raked without going back on
yourself. It's made more difficult by the fact their are stones in the
garden so you really have to think about it.

Also as a bonus for those who have accounts for the Steam gaming network,
you also get product keys for *The Binding of Isaac*, *Blocks That Matter* and
*Gish*.

For those of us running on Linux there are .rpm, .deb and tar.gz files
available so we're all catered for!

So I hope some people find this useful!

--
Kind Regards