[Bassetlug mailing] Setting up SSH and VNC on Raspberry Pi

MJ.Wells mj.wells at ischus.plus.com
Thu Jun 7 11:36:34 UTC 2012

Thanks Danny for the guide. Dead useful to print off and file ready for
the next Rpi or SD card. Just needs a note added to it that at the
moment it will only work with Debian, to save people trying it with
OpenELEC etc. On the Website maybe also a comment explanation like you
gave about why the other distributions available at present can't do it
because of their 'minimilist' philosophy.

As we saw at the last meeting I have managed to work out how to make the
Rpi boot in to our own code. I'll write this up as a page on the
website. There was some general comment that this was of interest to
others particularly assembler and C on the Rpi.

Can we discuss what we want to do in the next few meetings? Do we want
to have part of the session on learning how to use the Rpi gcc toolchain
to write either C or assembler programs?

We could use as examples programs written for either Debian/other Linux
distribution, or as a standalone 'kernel'. Which would be preferred?

It would be good if we can work out how to cross compile ARM code on a
laptop under Linux. Save all that moving things about with sftp.

Other issues, Rpi or not, that we would like to look at in the period,
say, up to September?

Do we want a 'get together' day in the summer?  What could we title it,
needs to be something like 'maker day', but not focused on making, but
maybe sharing ideas. We could have an open session and invite other Lugs
to it. Maybe a barbecue and hope that it is fine?

Are we going to get round to going to the Sheffield Lug one weekend?
Maybe now would be a good time?

Great to see a new member at the last meeting. A warm welcome to Tom.

Martin