[Beds] Re: Problems with CD Writing

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Wed Oct 23 15:40:01 2002

Hi Jonathan,

Your problem must be environmental because I've written CDs on machines with
specs as low as K6-233 and my current VIA C3-533 under KDE.

I don't write at high speeds 8x for CD-R and 4x for CD-RW though. I have my
CD-RW drive as a slave and DMA is disabled.

Like you, I run the writer using ide-scsi and have used both gcombust and now
CDBakeOven.

Things I can suggest are:

1) Ensure your screensaver has a kick-in of more than one burning interval
2) Try alternate brands of media experimenting with CD-RW first
3) Check the reliability of your CD-RW drive. Does it throw any errors on read
4) Check the capabilites of your CD-RW drive with hdparm -i

I don't think playing with kernel configuration will help much and a
pre-emptible kernel should definately not be required. It's more likely to be
a configuration issue e.g. the mode of DMA used support for multi-sector etc.

Regards,
Neil Darlow M.Sc.
--
Open Standards/Free Software Consultants http://www.darlow.co.uk/
ICQ: 135505456  E-Mail, Jabber, MSNM: see following GnuPG identity