[Beds] Re: Problems with CD Writing

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Wed Oct 23 16:47:00 2002

Hi Jonathan,

On Wednesday 23 Oct 2002 16:39, you wrote:
> I have the DMA on as having it off means I can't write at full speed, I'll
> try turning it off and going slower.
> Do you know the correct way of turning on DMA when using ide-scsi as
> fiddling with the /dev/hd* entries seems a bit like goign behind ide-scsi's
> back.

I don't see that as a problem because the ide-scsi stuff is a layer on-top of
the IDE driver and it's the IDE driver that communicates intimately with the
hardware. The writing device /dev/sg? is character oriented and I don't think
hdparm would play well with it.

> I'll have another play with DMA stuff as I've only recently turned it on.
> Having it off makes my machine sluggish to mouse movements when burning and
> CPU hits 100% at 20x write.

I would certainly check that your drive supports the DMA mode you're
attempting to use e.g. DMA vs. UDMA etc. I'm quite happy to let CD burns have
all my CPU cycles. I generally go away and have a cuppa while it happens.

Regards,
Neil Darlow M.Sc.
--
Open Standards/Free Software Consultants http://www.darlow.co.uk/
ICQ: 135505456  E-Mail, Jabber, MSNM: see following GnuPG identity