[Beds] Fwd: [lugmaster] Linux Ham headcount

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 11:38:37 GMT 2003

Hi All,

I've been asked to pass this request onto the membership. So, closet Hams,
come out wherever you are :-)

Subject: [lugmaster] Linux Ham headcount
Date: Wednesday 03 Dec 2003 10:06 am
From: chris williams <webboss at ntlworld.com>
To: lugmaster at mailman.lug.org.uk

Hi All,

Would you mind asking around your lugs to see if you have and Radio
Amateurs in your groups. If you could you ask any "Linux Hams" you find
lurking to drop a very quick mail to :-

linuxham at 485design.co.uk

At this stage Im doing a quick headcount using an email countbot to see
roughly how many are about, but if there is enough interest a couple of
members from our group plan to put together a UK based Linux-Ham
resource site etc...

We (Shropshire LUG) recently did a "Linux Awareness Day" at Telford
Radio Rally - a national event kind of like a computer fair on steriods
for radio amateurs. Quite a good event - several thousand visitors all
of whom had to walk past our display to get to the bargains - lots of
interest - kept 6 of us on the display stand busy all day with demos and
chat :)

Judging from the number of visitors we spoke to who indicated they used
linux already there should be potentially quite a few. Our lug has about
half a dozen out of our 60ish membership that are radio amateurs (around
10%). I will be interested to see if this is a national thing or if we
are just a strange bunch of anoraks here in shropshire ;)

cheers all...

Chris W (g7/m3nbp)

--
Christopher J Williams