[Beds] lil help please...

gibbsie gibbsie at gibbsie.org
Thu Mar 20 17:51:00 2003

VIA (mini-ITX pioneers) have an interesting roadmap laid out for the =
coming
future.

They have just aquired a Swiss wireless networking technology company, =
and
plan to bring Wireless to the EPIA range.  Also, better support for
MPEG/DiVx playback and faster C3 processors are just a couple of =
highlights
coming - not to mention a new mini-ITX board that will accept iP4 =
processors
if that takes your fancy.  TV Out is promised to get better since =
currently
the quality is not perfect, although the M is better than the original
EPIAs.

The M series are pretty well supported on the net, VIA Arena now has a
dedicated Linux section, and support should grow greatly in coming =
months.
I personally have a couple of EPIA-800's and they have been one of the =
most
stable boards I've played around with for sometime.  Due to their low =
power
consumption, these are ideal for a number of projects, and using some of =
the
DC-DC converters out there, you can run them off a car battery, just =
incase
you get bored on the M25 queues ;-)

As for sourcing mini-ITX boards, they are getting more popular:
ultim8pc.co.uk, linitx.org have them and ebuyer.com sometimes have them
(only EPIA's tho).

Anyhow, some further food for thought.
Oliver

Ps. I should be on commission from VIA!