[Beds] Forum outage

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 16:24:14 GMT 2004

Hi,

Some of you have already noticed that attempts to access the Beds LUG forums
are met with an error. This has transpired following a recent compromise of
the lug.org.uk server.

A restore of files from a backup, supposedly, preceeding the compromise has
failed to recover all files and I am trying to convince the administrators
that the compromise may have occurred earlier than they thought. This could
entail further searches through earlier backups for the missing files.

In the meantime, we will have to do without forums and if the situation can't
be resolved soon, I will be looking for volunteers to construct a new web
site and forums system.

For your interest, the system was compromised through a combination of a
vulnerable phpBB version and a world-writable PHP application configuration
file. I won't comment further on how the former should have permitted shell
access nor why the latter was present.

Regards,
Neil Darlow
--