[Beds] Question for our Wireless Gurus

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 21:13:16 BST 2005

Hi All,

I finally got tired of tripping-over my wired LAN connection so I
replaced it with a pair of D-Link DWL-G810 Wireless Bridges.

For those of you who haven't come across these devices, they are
advertised as being able to "convert any Ethernet-enabled device to
wireless". They are 802.11g but feature Turbo extensions to give a
theoretical maximum data transfer rate of 108Mbps (G-Turbo mode).

My question is, and I raised this at the last LUG Meeting, how safe are
such devices? The specification rates the transmitter output power at
15dBm+/-2dB and the antenna has gain of 1dB.

The unit is sitting approximately 2m away from my workstation at about
chest height when I'm sitting. Will I fry, or turn into a vegetable, any
time soon? and can I expect to live a long life despite it?

If any wireless-savvy members attend the meeting on Thursday, perhaps we
could table this for discussion.

Regards,
Neil Darlow
--