[Beds] Beds LUG Archives open to any browser

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 18:07:36 BST 2005

Hi Tony,

On Thursday 04 Aug 2005 16:00, tony.tibbenham at sonoco.com wrote:
> The Beds LUG archives did not require a username/password when I went
> looking for an old post.  Should they be password protected?  Posters email
> addresses are visible.

The list archives are public. Poster e-mail addresses are visible, although
slightly munged by Mailman.

If you are worried about harvesting of e-mail addresses, making the archives
available only to subscribers causes more problems. It often provokes the
subscription of harvesting bots to the list.

My view on this is that if you hide posts then it invites investigation by
outsiders. If members have strong feelings on preserving the privacy of their
e-mail address, I suggest using a throw-away address on list.

Regards,
Neil Darlow
--
Anti-virus scanned by ClamAV-0.86.2 - http://www.clamav.net