[Beds] Mono... (Dependency Hell...)

Darren Parkinson darren.parkinson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 16:06:02 BST 2005

Hello All,

I thought I would take a look at the wonderful world of mono, but have again
seemingly ended up in yet another dependency nightmare.

I have installed the basics of mono using yum and the mono.repo file as
recommended on the website, now admittedly, I'm using FC4 and I sort of
modified the file a bit so that it would look in the FC3 directory, but how
different can it be (!)... This actually all seems to have worked fairly
well...

I then thought that I would start by taking a look at some of the new wizzy
mono applications that everyone keeps banging on about
(beagle/tomboy/f-spot), so rather than head straight for beagle, I decided
that I start with the (what would appear to be) easier f-spot application
(!!!).

So, I downloaded the app and have run the ./configure script and this is
where my problem lies... When I run the ./configure script, it complains
that "Package gtkhtml-sharp-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path"
and that I should "consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment
variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can
find them".

Essentially it seems that I am missing the gtkhtml-sharp files, but on
searching, I can see that they exist on my system. Incidentally I had the
same message about libexif, but rectified this by putting a libexif.pc file
in the /usr/lib/pkgconfig directory.

So my question (finally) is this : how is it that I have gtkhtml on my
system, but the .pc file that pkgconfig is expecting doesn't appear anywhere
on my system? How do I get around this?

If anyone can shed a bit of light on this and make things a little clearer,
I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Regards,
Darren.