[Beds] Maximum Partition Sizes - Kernel Limitation?

Darren Parkinson darren.parkinson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:57:11 BST 2005

Hello All,

Another quick question regarding maximum partition sizes on Linux. I've read
that ext2 has a maximum partition size of 4TB, but someone just called me to
ask a question regarding whether or not the kernel placed any additional
restrictions on this? He was under the impression that a 2.4 kernel put a
1TB limit on this which was fixed in 2.6. Does anyone know this to be the
case? I've done a quick google and can't find too much about it so any help
greatly appreciated.

Also related to this question is one about LVM. Does anyone know, if I have
a 2.4 kernel system without LVM, can I install LVM and then add existing
ext2 partitions in order to create a much larger filesystem than that
supported by the kernel, or does the kernel limitation override this too?

Kind regards,
Darren.