[Beds] Java RMI vs TCP Sockets

Stephen Elliott techweb at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 14 12:16:06 GMT 2005

Hi,

Thanks for everyones help with the Java programs I was writing.

I now need to explain in my report the differences between RMI and TCP
Sockets with regards to the following.

How connections are establisbed
How conversations are carried out
How connections are terminated

So far I have came up with the fact that RMI is a tidy but slower way of
implementing this. Hides most from the user. TCP Sockets are the DIY
approach and is faster and programmer has more control.

In TCP you need to open and close sockets which you son't need to do in RMI
as you are calling a remote method.

Are there any additional points that anyone can think of?

Many Thanks
Steve...