[Beds] Strange IDE Problem

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 21:40:13 BST 2005

Hi Steve,

On Wednesday 15 Jun 2005 21:07, Stephen Elliott wrote:
> I noticed this when I did a dmesg the other day. First time I've seen it on
> this box.
>
> hda: timeout waiting for DMA
> ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
> hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hda: drive not ready for command
> ide0: reset: success
> blk: queue c031ec24, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
>
> Anybody know the cause.

It could be many things ranging from support for your IDE chipset's
quirks not being enabled in the kernel configuration, to dangerous hdparm
settings, to an imminent drive failure.

If this is happening for one IDE channel only, it might indicate a drive
problem but if it's happening for more then it could be a configuration
issue.

A Google on the ide_dmaproc error message might be illuminating but I'd
suggest that a backup of the drive's contents as a matter of urgency might
be prudent.

Regards,
Neil Darlow
--