[Beds] Free Software Magazine got cheaper

Tom Chance lists at tomchance.org.uk
Fri Mar 11 10:52:32 GMT 2005

Ahoy,

Free Software Magazine is a relatively new magazine packed with high quality,
in depth articles on free software, its use and the ethics and philosophy
surrounding it.

After feedback from lots of people they've dropped their subscription prices,
hoping to attract more subscribers. It's now $8.95/month for paper copies to
the UK, or $24/year for PDFs. Even though the price is still slightly higher
than usual for tech magazines, it's worth subscribing because:

- The magazine releases all of its articles under free licenses after six
weeks (e.g. GFDL, verbatim copying, Creative Commons)  *
- The magazine is the only one to consistently cover the non-technical issues
in depth
- The magazine gives FREE advertising to free software companies
- They need another 200 subscribers to be financially viable!

You can download the first two issues for free already to see what it's like:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com

Disclaimer: I have written for the magazine, but for free. I just think it's a
really good project.

Regards,
Tom

* Some people may not consider all of these licenses as free. That said, it's
a lot better than the competition who release a few articles under full
copyright as PDFs a few months after publication!