[Beds] Digital Camcorder choice for Linux

Neil Darlow neil at darlow.co.uk
Thu May 26 22:00:52 BST 2005

Hi Adrian,

On Thursday 26 May 2005 15:29, Adrian St. John wrote:
> I haven't used it with Linux, but I do have a Canon MV650 equivalent
> (long story, but its the NTSC variant rather than PAL) that you can borrow
> to experiment with. If you don't have a firewire connection I can lend
> you a PCI card as well.

Thanks, I picked-up a Firewire card locally (two standard size and one
miniature connectors with a standard-to-miniature cable included) and that
seems to be detected by the BIOS and Gentoo quite nicely. I'll need the
camcorder to determine that udev is doing its business correctly.

I'm confident the MV880x will satisfy our photographic needs and, with half
term being next week, I'll be buying it sooner rather than later.

I expect the video capture/transcode/edit/burning process and toolchain will
be the biggest challenge to producing good results. I was really looking for
feedback on this area of things from within the group and hoping I wouldn't
be breaking new ground.

Thanks for the offer of the equipment loan, that's what LUGs are really about.

Regards,
Neil Darlow
--
OpenPGP Key: 0x531F9048 | Registered Linux User: 122512