[Beds] Website

Stephen Newey stephen at freakymousemats.com
Thu Aug 31 15:38:12 BST 2006

Hi Mike

I'm afraid I don't really have any specific experience of Joomla to
be able to offer you solid advice or a comparison to Plone. Maybe
someone else here does? Alternatively, you can have a look at
www.cmsmatrix.org to get a feature-by-feature comparison.

I've spent a good few years of my career up until recently as a web
developer, mostly utilising PHP.  More recently I discovered Python
and was blown away by how much better (in this man's opinion) it is
than PHP. Since then I do nearly everything with Python, which
somewhat rules out PHP-based CMSes for my use!

I think it comes down to your circumstances and what you're trying to
build. Plone is a fantastic product out the box if you primarily want
to "just use" the system and are happy with the available third party
add ons (which covers my needs for my personal website and I think
should cover the LUG site's needs too). It is also incredibly
extensible, but to do so you're looking at a large learning curve
(especially if you're not familiar with Python), mostly getting to
grips with the complexities of the Zope application server that forms
the basis of it.

If the site you're talking about will require lots of extra bespoke
functionality it perhaps isn't the ideal choice for you. If you're
comfortable and well versed in PHP it's probably a good idea to stick
with what you know.

If you're interested in an alternative to PHP (a million arbitrarily
and inconsistently named functions in the global namespace isn't my
idea of fun anymore) that will allow for pretty rapid development and
comes with lots of tools in the box to save you doing the boring
stuff like templating, authentication, etc over and over again, I'd
thoroughly recommend getting to know Django (http://
www.djangoproject.com/). It's a Python web app framework that is
often compared to Ruby on Rails. It's built to support journalistic
deadline. The developers mention having often produced new
functionality that's live on their large content-driven newspaper
site within hours of conceiving of the idea.

I hope that's of some use, let me know if you've got any more questions.

Cheers
Steve