[Beds] Who's Here?

Adrian St. John adrian at stjohn-home.net
Sun Sep 3 09:54:06 BST 2006

> So here's a little list of questions for anyone who's interested....
>
> 1. Say Hi! So we know who's here.
Hi! I'm here (if a little late...)

> 2. Whereabouts are you?
Moggerhanger, near Sandy

> 3. What's your relationship with Linux? (how did you come to use it,
> what do you use it for, etc)
I've been using Linux since 1995 when I was writing cross-platform
network software that had to work on UNIX, Linux, VMS, Windows, OS/9,
DOS, etc.
Originally development was on SunOS and ported, but after 6 months I
changed that around to development primarily on Linux systems (along
with changing the network infrastructure to use Linux servers).

Unfortunately when I changed jobs it moved further away from Linux until
2 years ago when we were 'forced' to install Debian on a PC to get a
critical piece of software running, and since then I have been
convincing my boss to increase our Linux usage, to the point that we
are now seriously considering porting our server software to Linux.

At home I use a Debian-Linux installation as my email server / firewall
machine, and I would be running Ubuntu on my laptop if I could sort out
the overheating problems.

> 4. What's your preferred distribution? (no need to get into why
> unless you really want to, just establishing a demographic!)

I'm most comfortable with Debian, but I like Ubuntu as a desktop system.

> 5. What do you hope to get out of being involved with a Linux User
> Group? What sort of things would you like to see the group do?

I'm looking for people to talk to, finding out interesting tips that I'd
not encountered, and help in sorting out these new-fangled desktop
environments (KDE, Gnome) - I've been so long at a console, and haven't
progressed much past ctwm that I was using at university.

Thanks,

Adrian St. John.

--
Adrian St. John <adrian at stjohn-home.net>