[bedsLUG] beds -> bedsLUG - A new face

Joe O'Dell joseph.odell at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 11 19:59:34 UTC 2010

Evening everyone,

This is more of a notice, but please feel free to comment on it :)

The Bedford LUG has been inactive for a few years now, and I have been talking to Stephen about it for a little while.
I have decided to take over the reins of the group, as I feel that Bedford really needs a LUG, and I hope that with the input of all of you, we can make that happen. :)

Well, I had better introduce myself - I'm Joe and I'm 14 years old; I've always been interested in linux, since I first discovered Ubuntu in 2005/6. I have since then become more and more involved in FOSS projects, and have recently joined the Fedora Ambassadors group. However, I still am part of both Ubuntu and Fedora communities, something I like to call "Distribution Neutrality". I'm a bit crazy, and I wear glasses, but hey, it don't bother me!

I have put together a simple website to act as a holding page for the website, http://beds.lug.org.uk . (and it's W3C XHTML v1.0 Compliant!). I made a few people giggle on IRC when mentioning the new name of bedsLUG, as all everyone could think of was Slugs. And that explains the new mascot/logo/badge... :)

Over time, the aims are:
- To bring together the already large group of Linux users in Bedford, through Installfests, Trips, meetups, meetings and other events
- To enlarge the Linux user base in Bedfordshire
- To try and get local businesses/councils to use Linux as much as possible
- To enjoy ourselves!

I am trying to bring the LUG group in Bedfordshire back to life, because it would be so great to have a thriving Linux Community in Bedford.
I will be going around Bedford some time next week with some flyers to try and promote ourselves - If you don't see me, do check the library where I will make sure a poster gets put up :)

Your help in this massive task, as a community, would be greatly appreciated, and I hope that we can bring Linux back to life in Bedford!

Thank you,

Joe
Joe O'Dell

Fedora Ambassador & Contributor (FreeMedia)
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ascenseur

bedsLUG Co-Ordinator
bedslug.co.cc

DFEY Member (SouthEast)