[Blackburn] A few questions

Stuart Grimshaw stuart at smgsystems.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 23:28:03 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 23:18, Konrad Dabrowski wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> As far as I know, I am the first user asking for help at BLUG.
>
> I have a few questions, which are at least mildly GNU/Linux related:
>
> 1. I want to get ADSL. I am on an exchange that will let me do this with
> a maximum download speed of 512K/sec and an unknown amount of maximum
> upload.
> I would like to get a web server running, so I would need a static IP. I
> don't care about getting extra e-mail addresses and other random 'gifts'
> like that and I don't need them. Can you advise me on an ISP to use, as
> I have yet to find one that claims to support Linux. Price is
> the most important thing to me, after getting a static IP address.

I used Eclipse (www.eclipse.co.uk) and they were fine. You'll probably
want to get one of the bundled router packages, look at Plusnet as they
used to be cheaper than buying ADSL & a router seperatly (this may not
be the case now) (DISCLAIMER: I work for Plusnet, but the information I
give you is my honest opinion and as such need not reflect that of
Plusnet etc etc)

Check out www.adslguide.org.uk t see what other people think of the
various ISP's.

> 2. I would like to get ADSL going directly into my Debian Linux box (a
> PI 133MHZ) and then distributed on a network to my other PC(s). Does
> anyone know of a suitable and as-cheap-as possible ethernet
> modem/router? The only one I have found so far was in PC World and cost
> £100, which I think is a bit expensive. My debian box has no USB port
> and I don't want to be messing around struggling to get USB to work on
> another machine.

You'll be better off getting a router with a built in switch, saves much
hassle, most also come with firewalls built in too.

> 3. I know nothing about networks and would like to connect my
> Windows/Red Hat box to my Debian box (preferably through a switchbox).
> Could someone please tell me how to do this. I have 2 network cards and
> can get hold of ethernet cables quite easily.

With a router/switch combo there'll be no need to do that.

> 4. My PII 333MHz box is getting quite old now. Can anyone advise me on
> where I can get something somewhat newer, but not necessarily
> bleeding-edge that doesn't cost a huge amount?

eBay?

There is also a local store up near Philips road (on the same estate as
Airtime) that sell cheap PC's but they were lower spec than what you
have I think.

--
Stuart Grimshaw <stuart at smgsystems.co.uk>