[Blackpool] This weeks meeting 17th April 2010

Tony Hughes tonyhughes1212 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 07:08:00 UTC 2010

Hi All I've just posted this to the Blog

I installed the RC onto my test bed laptop yesterday. The new install
procedure looks good, on first boot from the DC you get a choice to run
in live mode or go strait to install but its a nice new GUI from the get
go. Install options are the same as 9.10. Once you have chosen your
region, keyboard and decided on if you want to install on the whole disc
or not you get prompted to choose a user name and password and if you
want to boot to desktop without needing password or not. You also have
the choice to encrypt your home directory which is good if its a
portable PC. The actual install took about 25 minutes which wasn't to
bad. Given that this was the RC and had only been out a couple of days
there was a lot of updates to the software which took another 20-30
minutes to install once the base system was in place.

It seems slick and quite fast but not yet ready for work use as it will
not recognise my 3G dongle, this seems to be a known bug going back to
9.10 which seems to have still not been resolved, not good for the new
LTS release and as it's not an issue in Mint 8 (based on 9.10) why is it
still an issue here? Boot time is acceptable for the hard ware and
everything else seems to work fine, all the PC hardware was recognised
out of the box, but as I put it on a Dell I1300, and considering all the
work Ubuntu and Dell have done together I would expect nothing else. It
also recognised my WiFi? dongle without any problems. It downloaded the
codecs for MP3, Flash and DVD as needed and all are working. It also
shuts down very quickly. One small thing is that the Max, min and close
buttons on windows are now on the upper left hand side (Mac like) it can
be a bit confusing at first and I think I would want to change this back
to what I'm used to.

If it was not for the 3G issue I would say it was ready for day to day
use on a second PC, but I wouldn't chance it as my day to day works PC
until I was sure there were no more bugs lurking in the background. It
will also be interesting to see how others fare on different hardware
and different peripherals. I think I will wait for Mint 9 to come out
and let them sort out the bugs before I install it to my working PC.

Tony