[Blackpool] [Fwd: Re: Software Freedom Day]

Les Pounder lespounder at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 21:08:46 UTC 2010

Rick / all answers in line with your comments.
Good work mate!
Les

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Richard Vause <rvause at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> This mailing list hates me and keeps slamming new rules on me so I hope
> this message gets through!
>
> See this wiki page re Gobuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gobuntu

Ah so Gobuntu ended after 8.04 and merged with Ubuntu, as they couldn't
achieve the lofty heights of the gNewsense project., what a pity!

> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gobuntu>After speaking to that bloke about this
> event it seems to be clearly focused on totally free software as apposed to
> free non-free software, I was just thinking that as our goal is to advocate
> Ubuntu, it is important to have defense for the common licensing questions
> highly usable desktop distro users face.
>

>From what I understand Michael is keen for Ubuntu to be represented on
Software Freedom Day (in fact Luke is running a workshop on Ubuntu on the
day), the event is focused on free software, so yes we are bound to be asked
by those interested in software freedom about the status of certain aspects
of Ubuntu.

Rick, could you take an action to look into the status of key pieces of
software in Ubuntu, and produce some sort of "cheat sheet" for use on the
day?

> re Mono: It has been rumored (possibly confirmed) that Ubuntu will be
> dropping F-spot for Shotwell in Maverick Meerkat (brilliant news), which
> leaves - as far as I know -  only Tomboy depending on mono...so it's almost
> gone.

I heard that F-Spot was getting dropped for Shotwell, as Fedora have already
done this and to great success.
I can only think of Tomboy as the last remaining app that uses mono.

> It has also been rumored that Ubuntu may adopt Chromium as the default web
> browser which is brilliant as Google are leading this project with the full
> HTML5 + <video> (WebM (vp8)) + sophisticated javascript (canvas, web workers
> (may be Mozilla's name for it))  power that will really allow good web
> applications to move away from depending on the infamous flash plugin.
> Moreover, we are moving to the web, who reads email or writes documents in
> natives apps anymore? The number is diminishing every day. So, yeah,
> adopting Chromium (need to find out more) is a winner.

Chromium is a great browser, and I fully support it! Flash is a pain in the
arse and eats cpu and battery. So I welcome HTML5 and vp8.