[Blackpool] Re Laptop install

Tony Hughes tonyhughes1212 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 10:45:18 UTC 2010

Hi All Update on laptop situation.

I did it, after a bit more research on the net and with the use of lspci
in a terminal to find out the graphics card in the laptop I found a page
on the Ubuntu forums where folks had the same problem with this
hardware. Someone gave the required script to make a xorg.conf file for
the X11 folder, and after a false start and trashing X the first time
round and having to reinstall the hard drive (all part of the learning
curve), I now have a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04 (yes full Ubuntu
Gnome GUI) which I am installing the updates on as I write.

I've just ordered a 256mb Ram card from e-bay to bring the memory up to
the max 512mb for the PC. I'm well pleased if I carry on like this I'll
start to become a real GEEK heeeeelp. This was and still is a very good
bit of kit so I am glad to be able to give it a new lease of life, my
next plan is to buy a 1.8" IDE SSD for it to see if it will improve
performance and battery life, it could be £50 well spent.

All I can say is the Ubuntu community rocks.

Tony